Everything you need to know about LED Downlights
What are led downlights?
LED downlight is a kind of downlight lighting fixture embedded in the ceiling. LED downlights are directional lighting fixtures, only the opposite side can receive light, the beam angle belongs to the spotlight, the light is concentrated, and the contrast between light and dark is strong. The illuminated object is more prominent, the lumen is higher, and the quiet environment atmosphere is set off.
LED downlight mainly realizes lighting by means of diode light-emitting, and its service life mainly depends on the solid LED light source and the driving heat dissipation part. In 2012, the service life of LED downlights reached more than 80,000 hours. And heat dissipation has basically reached a relatively ideal state. Compared with ordinary halogen downlights, the life of high-quality LED downlights on the market basically reaches more than 80,000 hours.
The feature and benefits
- LED downlights can maintain the overall unity and perfection of architectural decoration without destroying the setting of lamps and lanterns. The light source hides the interior of architectural decoration without exposure or glare, and the human visual effect is soft and uniform.
- Energy-saving: the power consumption of the same brightness is 1/2 of that of an ordinary energy-saving downlighter.
- Environmental protection: no harmful substances such as mercury, no pollution to the environment.
- Economical: Because saving electricity can reduce electricity expenses, the cost of lamps can be recovered in one and a half years. A family can save tens of yuan in electricity bills a month.
- Low-carbon: saving electricity is equivalent to reducing carbon emissions.
- Longevity type: LED lamps have a lifespan of 100,000 hours. Calculated by using six hours a day, an LED lamp can be used for 40 years.
What are the led downlight types?
- Downlights can be divided into 2 inches, 2.5 inches, 3 inches, 4 inches, 5 inches, 6 inches, 8 inches, and 10 inches according to the size. Generally, there are three parameters related to the size, outer diameter, opening size, and thickness. That is, the size of the hole dug during ceiling construction.
- From protection grade, the downlights include ip20 indoor downlights and IP65 waterproof downlights which can be used outdoors or in bathrooms that is full of moisture.
- The classification lamp beads used in downlights can be divided into three types: high-power lamp beads, low-power lamp beads, and integrated lamp beads. Among them, high-power lamp beads can be divided into 1W, 2W, and 3W single chips, and chips from good suppliers the package can make the lamp beads reach 5W and 10W power; the low power can be divided into 3014, 3528, and 5050, etc. according to the package form; integrated lamp beads, that is, COB. In terms of appearance and heat dissipation, in theory, low-power lamp beads have no light spots and relatively good heat dissipation, which are more and more popular among customers.
- The downlight is generally a fogged mask, but the fog surface is at the cost of reducing the light effect, so some downlights are also made into a transparent cover.
- From installation, the led downlights have surface mounted downlights, recessed downlights, and suspended downlights.
What are the differences between led downlights and led spotlights?
Many people confuse downlights and led spotlights. They don’t know the difference between these two types of lamps, where they should be applied in the home, and what are the different effects of the application.
To put it simply, a downlight is a lamp that is more concentrated than ordinary surface-mounted lamps and is generally used for general lighting or auxiliary lighting.
A spotlight is a highly concentrated light fixture whose light irradiation has a specific target that can be specified. It is mainly used for special lightings, such as emphasizing a very tasteful or innovative place.
We distinguish between downlights and spotlights from these aspects.
- From the light source, the downlight can be equipped with incandescent bulbs or energy-saving lamps. When the incandescent lamp is installed, it is yellow light. When installing energy-saving lamps, the bulb type can be white light or yellow light. The direction of the light source of the ceiling downlight cannot be adjusted. General household spotlights use quartz bulbs, or lamp beads. Of course, quartz bulbs are not necessarily used for large spotlights. Quartz bulbs have only yellow light. And the direction of the light source of general spotlights can be adjusted freely.
- From the application position, downlights are generally installed in the ceiling, and generally the ceiling needs to be above 150mm to be installed. Of course, the downlight also has an external type. It is a good choice to install downlights in areas without ceiling lights or chandeliers, and the light is softer than spotlights. Spotlights can generally be divided into track type, point hanging type and built-in type. Spotlights generally have transformers, but there are also those without transformers. Recessed spotlights can be installed in the ceiling. Spotlights are mainly used in places that need to be emphasized or expressed, such as TV walls, hanging pictures, accessories, etc., and can be used to enhance the effect.
- From the price point of view, spotlights are more expensive for the same grade. Generally speaking, the brands of downlights and spotlights with better quality in China include Opple, FSL, and NVC have the best cost performance.
The price of led downlights
LED downlights include different sizes – common 2.5 inches, 3 inches, 4 inches, 5 inches, 6 inches, and 8 inches. The power corresponding to different sizes is not the same, and the price will also vary according to the downlight shell, LED driver, and LED chip. difference.
2.5inch 7W at 1.5usd-3.8usd. 3inch 9W at 2.5usd-4.8usd; 4inch 12W at $3.98usd-5.98usd; 5inch 15w at $4.98-7.88usd; 6inch 18W at $5.88-8.88usd; 9.98usd. etc. This price will be changed according to different requirements, you can tell us your detailed inquiry.
- Check whether the product is in good condition immediately after opening the downlight package. If there is a failure caused by non-humans or within the requirements of the manual, it can be returned to the retailer or directly returned to the manufacturer for replacement.
- Cut off the power supply before installation to ensure that the switch is closed to prevent electric shock. After the lighting is on, do not touch the surface of the lamp with your hands. This lamp should be avoided being installed in places with heat sources, hot steam, and corrosive gases, so as not to affect the service life.
- Please confirm the applicable power supply according to the installation quantity before use.
- The product uses a high-voltage (110V/220V) power supply lamp cup. It is not suitable to work in a state of frequent power-on and power-off, which will affect its life.
- Install in a flat place without vibration, swing, or fire hazards. Pay attention to avoid falling from high altitudes, collisions with hard objects, and knocking.
- If it is not used for a long time, the downlight should be stored in a cool, dry, and clean environment, and it is forbidden to store and use it in humid, high temperature or flammable and explosive places
FAQS about led downlights
What is the installation distance of the LED downlight from the wall?
The distance from the wall is generally 300mm.
The installation distance between two led downlights is generally about 1 meter to 1.2 meters, which is relatively suitable for families with a floor height of more than 3 meters. If the floor height is less than 3 meters, it is about 2.7 meters to 3 meters, you can properly adjust the distance between the downlights, try to choose about 1.3 meters to 1.5 meters, which can reduce the sense of oppression and make the whole home effect more harmonious.
How many years do LED downlights last?
Generally, the led downlight lasts 50000 hrs, and the lifetime will be more than 10 years.
How to choose a good led downlight?
You need to pay more attention on follows points if you request to select a good led downlight
- LED driver: Isolated driver is better than the non-isolated driver.
- High power factor: The higher the pf, the better, high PF can reduce the burden on the entire grid. The general PF for small downlights is about 0.5-0.6, some can be 0.9 or above.
- Color temperature: There are 3000K 4000K 6500K color temperatures for led downlights, for residential lighting, the 3000K or 4000K is popular, for working places such as offices, the 6000K is the better choice.
You can contact us if you have any other questions.